Day 20

2 Clear smoke free weeks. Heres your 3rd week in quitting, room.

Day 20

Postby SeanK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 am

Good morning
I've had a few rough days of cravings etc.
However, I'm pleased to say that so far today has been so easy. May it continue!
Hope all you guys are full strength.
Lekker (South African for awesome)
:Good:
SeanK

Re: Day 20

Postby NeilTheMod » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 am

Well done Sean and delighted to hear you're having a good day - you deserve it. :Good:
Smoked For 35ish years
Stopped on 2nd September 2012
Taking it One Day at a Time

.......................Smoking is the problem, not the solution........................

............................Take one back, take them all back............................
NeilTheMod
One Day at a Time

Postby margareth » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 am

Hi Sean :lol:

So pleased today is easier for you after a couple of tough ones :Good:

Keep going you're doing great :YaY: :YaY: :YaY:

Love and Hugs

Marg xxx
margareth

Postby DomJ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 am

Well done Sean, Lekker indeed. Good to see you had a better day. I personally found Week 3 to be a real toughie - that is where this forum comes in to its own as you are sharing the journey with a team of people - the momentum that builds is fantastic. I know we are all different but Week 4 was soooo much better than Week 3, so hang in there and you will come out the other side.

Bakgat :Good:

Dom

"If we see you smoking we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action." Douglas Adams

DomJ
You know, you don't actually smoke. The cigarette does all the smoking, you are just the sucker!

Postby Caddymom » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:41 am

Hi everybody. My name is Kelli and I'm new to the forum. I just turned 37 and I have been a smoker since I was 17. The only times I really quit was while pregnant with my two kids. I've quit several times but the longest is never more than 6 months other than the pregnancies. Well I just quit again. I'm on day 19 and I swear I don't remember the third week being so hard. This week has been so bad. Today after work I got inside my car and just had a break down. I couldn't stop crying for about 10 full minutes before I could finally safely drive out of the parking garage. I really felt like a crazy person. I remember reading that magnesium was good to take so when I got home I took one. I feel a lot better but I have to be honest when I say I'm scared to face tomorrow. I feel like a failure and I haven't even bought a pack of cigarettes. I just don't trust myself especially if I keep having these panic and anxiety attacks. Please tell me this crazy feeling will go away. Has anyone else experienced this during week 3?
Caddymom

Postby margareth » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:13 am

Hi Kelli :)

Well done hun 19 days is great and welcome to the forum

Do not feel a failure hun just because of a crying bout this is normal for most of us in the early days of quitting this addiction so your emotions will be all over the place just now added to which week three can be hard for some

Glad you felt better after you got home though just hang in there hun it gets better as you go along the freedom road

Below is my standard welcome and advice post which I try and give all new members

: :Welcome: to the forum and well done on the decision to quit possibly one of the most important you will ever make and you will be losing nothing but you will regain control of your life and that has to be good

You will find all the help and support you need on here as we all help each other just like a family we are here for you every step of the way cheering the good days and sympathising with the bad but the good far outweigh the bad

:Read: the posts on here you will find a lot of tips and advice and in the signatures of a lot you will find links to other sites just click on them Here are 2 I find very good to start you off http://www.whyquit.com and http://www.woofmang.com Read, read and then read some more as the more you read and learn about why you smoked and about your addiction the easier your quit will be

This link is good for the psychological part of quitting http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Symptoms.html

Please also visit our Library where this is loads of useful stuff many written by our own members about their quitting experiences

viewforum.php?f=64

Post often to let us know how you're doing, to rant, rave have a moan whatever you like pretty much anything goes on here OK

Love and hugs

Marg xx
margareth

Postby nsdominoes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:21 am

Hello Kelli and welcome to NSF,

It helps that you gave you're age and length of time smoking (just add 20 years to both for me and trying everything and failing :Laugh2: .. until now :Grin: ) ... Thing is there's loads of mums on here who'll know exactly what you're talking about and it won't be long before they see your post.In the meantime, ... you're not crazy! (you're trying to deny yourself the most perniciously addictive legalised (taxes) drug in the world!

Kelli,the internet has made a big difference to me as regards quitting and I believe that this place has helped me,a serial quitter/starter get me to where I am today.Hang tight,Marg our super admin will be along soon and she will point you in all the right directions.What you're experiencing is withdrawal so try not to let it get to you ... Hang on to the fact that you have not smokrd for 19 Days.

Have a look in the Library and see what's there under Week Three ... it's one of the Terribles. :Good:

Just saw that Marg has indeed posted :Good:

Dermot

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
nsdominoes

Postby NeilTheMod » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:58 am

Hi Kelli and welcome to the forum.

What you are going through is normal and it will pass. This link http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge- ... b-24b.html talks about the changes that happen in chemically in the brain making you feel the way you feel. Add to this the body's rituals and triggers for a drug - nicotine and yes it hurts for a while, but it will pass. You had a day frome hell but you didn't smoke and a day without a fag is a success in my book.

Take life one day at a time and deal with what's there today not what might be tomorrow or that cannot be changed from yesterday. If you really want it, and with this forums help, you'll do it :Good:

All the best

Neil
Smoked For 35ish years
Stopped on 2nd September 2012
Taking it One Day at a Time

.......................Smoking is the problem, not the solution........................

............................Take one back, take them all back............................
NeilTheMod
One Day at a Time

Postby aberdeen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 am

Hi Kelli and a big welcome to the forum :Grin:

Firstly well done on quitting it takes strength to do that on it's own. You will get through the next couple of days because you have been strong enough to get through the last 19.

I know exactly how you feel as week 3 is very fresh in my mind :rolleyes: just completed it. It can be a tricky one for some people and emotions can be all over the place, and it was for me too. It does really get better though :Good:

Keep strong, nearly into week 4.

Abs
xxx

IF I HAVE JUST ONE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY.

Kindly lent to me by wolfe
aberdeen
One Day at a Time

Postby dawnm » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Hello Kelli and welcome you have come to the right place. Dont worry about your feelings they are absolutely normal and as you move around this forum you will see that especially on my quit! lol. This forum is a real life saver and you will get all the support you need here any time you want it! Very well done on getting to day 20 and hang in there as week 3 will soon be a thing of the past - even if you have to take it hour by hour. The hours soon mount up to a day! See you soon xx :Give_A_Heart:
dawnm

Postby Clairev » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:47 pm

When you think about it we've all been smoking for several years, and we've done this 10, 20, 30, 40 times a day.
Although nicotine withdrawal only lasts 72hrs to stop something we have done frequently for so long must be a shock to the system.
A child can be quite persistent when wanting to get its own way, for example it can start whith asking progressing to whinging, crying, feet stamping , full blown paddying, head banging and holding breath untill they turn blue the list goes on. Our bodies are doing the same, we are creatures of comfort and habit and we have taken ourselves out of our comfort zone and our bodies and mind are acting like the child who wants to get their own way and is doing anything it can to take us back to our old habits, and like the child if we ignore and don't give in, it will eventually calm down and start behaving.
I've been having flash backs or outta body experiences lol, I can see myself going into the shop and buying a pack of fags, I've never experienced anything like it and its very difficult to properly explain, I have to remind myself that I don't smoke and I will not be going into the shop !!
My hubbie is happy one minute, miserable the next, energetic one minute a complete arse the next all in the space of about 10 minutes and he's finding that hard to cope with.
Remind yourself every day why you enjoy being a non smoker, for me I'm a very independent person and I am glad that I am no longer controlled by nicotine, I like how my hands smell of hand wash or hand cream, I like how my daughter is happy that we have given up and I love that when i open my purse I actually have the tenner in there that was there 3-4 days ago :Good:
Be strong, we are at the same stage I'm on day 21
Claire x
Clairev

Postby nsdominoes » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Cracking post Claire and well done for setting down why it is we all behave irrationally at various times.You're 'Flashback/OOB' experiences sound very real and must be quite disconcerting - I don't think I've ever come across that before although I'm all too familiar with 'The Smoking Dream' itself.The cash boost we get from not buying smokes should never be underplayed but more tellingly,your daughter's pride in what you have achieved so far is worth much more. :Good:

I thought you might like to have a link to some reading related to Stress,Anxiety and Craving (if I haven't already) :Grin:

http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/Links_Cr ... tress.html

Good to hear that you're doing well and look forward to hearing some more soon.

Dermot.

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
nsdominoes

Postby Moonraker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi Kelli, well done on your quit so far, and doing it alone too. :Good:
Honest it will seem so much easier now you're here on this forum. Just don't be afraid to keep posting, good or bad, is all part of the process.
Claire's post about children was great a very good an*alogy I will think of that when I get a crave.....which is less and less each day.

Good luck :Give_A_Heart:

NOPE - NOT ONE PUFF EVER
Cold Turkey 2.2.13
Moonraker

Return to Week 3