44 days quit, still a rough go

1 Clear smoke free Month. Heres your 2nd Month in quitting room.

Re: 44 days quit, still a rough go

Postby margareth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:49 am

Pete I'll always help if I can hun and am always here early in the mornings but never after 5.30 ish pm my time it;s now 6.45 am here in the UK :Grin:

My evenings I spend with my OH unless there is an emergency here
margareth

Postby Chelle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 pm

petes67bird wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am currently on my 44th day. The superbowl just ended here and I am now sitting here actually pondering if I should start smoking again. I am feeling good lately. The insomnia has lessened a bit and I am sleeping a bit better now. The major issue is still with anxiety, if that is really what I am feeling. I am not craving cigs at all, cant remember the last time I had a craving. The only time I think about smoking is when the "anxiety" kicks in and it becomes unbearable, then I start to think that maybe if I smoke, this "anxiety" will go away. I am not even sure if its anxiety, it feels like a ball of energy in the middle of my chest that builds up and feels like it will erupt. I have had all medical tests done so I know my heart is ok. I also experience a bit of chest pain in the breast areas when this occurs.

It normally worsens when I am sitting just watching tv or while I am trying to just sit around and relax. It also worsens when I play videogames that are intense and that kick up the adrenaline. I cannot believe that after 44 days I am still feeling like this. My wife asked me today if it is better to die than to have this anxiety and my reply shocked her. I told her if I feel like this the rest of my life, that the quality of life is so much less than it would be if cigs shortened my life at the end. It really is getting to the point where the anxiety is starting to break me down a bit and making me rethink my stance. I dont want to smoke, but worrying about the feelings I get in my chest is driving me insane. If it isnt medical, then it MUST be anxiety but I am not even sure about that.

Let me know if any of you have heard of people with similar issues. Oh, constipation is still a bit of an issue as well, still go daily, but it is hard stools almost constantly. Sorry for being so open, but I am at wits end and this is the closest I have come to quitting my quit. Thanks Peter

Hi Peter,

Im so glad you wrote this as I am going through the self same thing!!!! Im an anxious annie anyways, I take Citolapram for Anxiety, but it is becoming unbearable!!!! I have chest pains and have been to see the doctor and he says there isnt a problem but Im convinced Ive got Pneumonia grrrrrr!!!!

Im having a very difficult time at work at the moment as well so that isnt helping at all!

Be cool to have a chat and compare notes lol

Im on day 55 myself....Im just sticking it out hoping it will get better

Love Chelle xxx

RIGHT NOW....IM PROUD TO BE CALLED A QUITTER!!!!!!!!!!!
Chelle

Postby petes67bird » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi Chelle-
I cant write anything long as I am leaving for work right now, but what has kept me sane a bit through this time is this expired web page lol. If you read the bottom replies to the article, there are 583 replies and people responded their issues during their quit. So it gives you the insight of 400+ different peoples quits but by no way is it a forum or anything like that. You cant do anything other than just read, but it is a good read and when I am having a bad day, reading through the replies often helps to reassure me that others are battling through the same thing. Here ya go http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-sympto ... drawal.htm Good Luck, Pete

P.S. I was #583 but as soon as I posted, they closed the replies, go figure :(.
petes67bird

Postby krid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:05 pm

What about yoga, meditation, pilates - singing is amazing for smoothing life out.
I reckon - and I could be talking out of a similar hole to Dev - that if you 've been experiencing the feelings whether you play your games or not why not risk playing, especially now you've been given the all clear heartwise?
I cant imagine how awful it must have been for you, I get anxiety issues but nowhere near the levels you describe.
KRID
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe
OK, so it's not all that relevant to smoking but I love it anyway!

I quit smoking on Monday 14th June 2010 at one minute past midnight

http://www.nosmokingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6152&hilit=dopamine+thread
krid

Postby michellemumof4 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi ,

Ok dont know if this will help or even if its information that you already know but . When we have anxiety or feel anxious we tend to breathe incorrectly , ie through the chest, which unfortunatly means that the oxygen levels in our blood drop. This can cause many symptoms associated with anxiety. Headaches, dizziness , chest pains , sickness, upset stomach the list really is endless .

Let me add that NON of the symptoms are life threatening what so ever, however unpleasant or uncomfortable.

One easy way to check that we are breathing correctly allowing enough oxygen to pass around our body is by doing the following excersise,

Place your left hand on your stomach just under the breast area, Now take a deep breath in slowly via the nose, try if you can to mentally count to 4 or longer , feel the stomach area rise under your hand, Now exhale again slowly allowing your stomach to drop............. repeat this for at least 5 mintes, close your eyes and relax as your draw the breaths in and out .

A clear indication that you are doing this is that you may feel slightly dizzy, keep going this is just the oxygen passing through your body and will pass very quickly. It also shows that you have indeed been breathing via the chest and not the stomach as you need too.

This can be done ideally 3 times a day or when ever you feel stressed or anxious. By doing this you are retraining yourself in the correct way to breath , as we often adopt chest breathing too easily over stressfull periods.

Another clear indication is close your eyes , picture a childs roundabout the type you would find on a playground, its spinning .............. How fast is it going ???

very fast - your stressed anxious .... you need to focus on your breathing and relax

Slow to moderate - your fine , but feel free to do some controlled breathing to help yourself even more

the roundabout represents YOU and how fast your mind and body are going

Ok i will shut up now for fear of boring you

Hope this helps

michelle xxx
michellemumof4

Postby Susan S » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Congratulations on your 2 months Peter.

It sounds like you could really use the relief (no pun intended). Talk to a pharmacist about what he would recommend you take to get some relief.

The chatter is a pain in the neck. I had it really bad and most people do have it to some degree.

I am providing you with a link on the subject of the that chatter. I hope it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10208
Week 3- Controlling the Chatter

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10152
Daily Motivation-Coping With the Withdrawals

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.
Susan S
The No Smoking Forum Librarian

Postby petes67bird » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:02 am

krid wrote:What about yoga, meditation, pilates - singing is amazing for smoothing life out.
I reckon - and I could be talking out of a similar hole to Dev - that if you 've been experiencing the feelings whether you play your games or not why not risk playing, especially now you've been given the all clear heartwise?
I cant imagine how awful it must have been for you, I get anxiety issues but nowhere near the levels you describe.

Hi Krid- Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the ideas but I am not a spiritual person, but might look into pilates as I dont believe that requires you to believe in spirituality. Thanks again, Peter
petes67bird

Postby Susan S » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 am

The only time I think about smoking is when the "anxiety" kicks in and it becomes unbearable, then I start to think that maybe if I smoke, this "anxiety" will go away. I am not even sure if its anxiety, it feels like a ball of energy in the middle of my chest that builds up and feels like it will erupt.

Oh yes...I forget to mention this. That pain is anxiety. I used to always associate the pain with having a withdrawal for a cigarette. I used to get it all the time and for years. What I found was that the feelings were just about the same and it would send very confusing signals to my head as to what I was truly feeling and what I truly needed. Be strong and vigilant, because these feelings will pass in time and the pangs will eventually cease.

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.
Susan S
The No Smoking Forum Librarian

Postby petes67bird » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 am

michellemumof4 wrote:Hi ,

Ok dont know if this will help or even if its information that you already know but . When we have anxiety or feel anxious we tend to breathe incorrectly , ie through the chest, which unfortunatly means that the oxygen levels in our blood drop. This can cause many symptoms associated with anxiety. Headaches, dizziness , chest pains , sickness, upset stomach the list really is endless .

Let me add that NON of the symptoms are life threatening what so ever, however unpleasant or uncomfortable.

One easy way to check that we are breathing correctly allowing enough oxygen to pass around our body is by doing the following excersise,

Place your left hand on your stomach just under the breast area, Now take a deep breath in slowly via the nose, try if you can to mentally count to 4 or longer , feel the stomach area rise under your hand, Now exhale again slowly allowing your stomach to drop............. repeat this for at least 5 mintes, close your eyes and relax as your draw the breaths in and out .

A clear indication that you are doing this is that you may feel slightly dizzy, keep going this is just the oxygen passing through your body and will pass very quickly. It also shows that you have indeed been breathing via the chest and not the stomach as you need too.

This can be done ideally 3 times a day or when ever you feel stressed or anxious. By doing this you are retraining yourself in the correct way to breath , as we often adopt chest breathing too easily over stressfull periods.

Another clear indication is close your eyes , picture a childs roundabout the type you would find on a playground, its spinning .............. How fast is it going ???

very fast - your stressed anxious .... you need to focus on your breathing and relax

Slow to moderate - your fine , but feel free to do some controlled breathing to help yourself even more

the roundabout represents YOU and how fast your mind and body are going

Ok i will shut up now for fear of boring you

Hope this helps

michelle xxx

Hi Michelle- you havent bored me one bit, I love all the advice that I can recieve. I do the breathing, it does help about 30% of the time, other than that, the xanax is the only help I get. Thanks Peter
petes67bird

Postby petes67bird » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 am

Hi Susan-
Sorry for the delay in the response, I got a few patients and had to scan them before I could get back on the computer. I dont really get the chatter at all in regards to thinking about smoking itself. I never had a crave yet that I had to defeat consciously at least. The only time cigs are ever brought into my mind is when I am battling anxiety. Normally i start to get that energy feeling in my chest then after an hour or so of dealing with it I start thinking that maybe I should just go back to smoking and it will go away. The meds dont really help too much, it has really been a struggle these 45 days now. The hardest 45 days of my entire life up to this point. Thank you for calming some of my fears, and I will attempt to read more of the posts later when I get home from work. I work second shift 2:30pm to 11pm daily, so I am mostly a night owl. Thanks Peter

P.S. So that ball of energy feeling in the middle of the chest where it feels like energy is building up, sort of like tingling energy is actually anxiety? If it is, than at least I know I am not crazy lol. Thanks
petes67bird

Postby michellemumof4 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:20 am

In my opinion yes its anxiety love , very similiar to what I get ..

keep going with your quit and good luck

Michelle xxx
michellemumof4

Postby petes67bird » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks for the kind words Michelle. I am hoping that with time the anxiety will lessen. I did have my first major Panic Attack on the 23rd of December which made me decide to quit smoking cold turkey that very day after I left the ER. I was trying to smoke a herbal blend from the holistic store (touted as a tobacco alternative) and it caused me to have a panic attack, made my pulse about 160, thought I was gonna die. I smoked these herbal supplements for a couple months as it was helping cut down on the number of cigs I was having and was touted to be nicotine and tobacco free. Also they smelled very good so my wife allowed me to smoke that indoors while I had to smoke cigs outside in the cold lol. Little did I know the herbals still had chemicals and these chemicals induced the panic attack. So here I am, waiting as patiently as one can be when they are hoping to feel better. So when I quit smoking, I quit cigs, stopped smoking those herbals, and quit drinking soda as I was drinking 4-5 caffeinated cans of soda a day as well. So I had the trifecta of withdrawals going and it probably caused the majority of this anxiety I am still having. Thanks Peter
petes67bird

Postby nitejanitor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 am

I take it you have anxiety issues even before you quit?? sometimes ole nicodemon will tease you & make all sorts of "problems" seem unbearable cause then he whispers-see "if only" you'd have one everything will be aces once more-NOT!!!!Why not really give quitting a real chance & stay with it till you have 6 months free & by then maybe you'll realize it was just nicodemon messing with you :Evil_Devil:
[12/04/11 quit date]

ImageImage
nitejanitor
If you give in and smoke you will never know how close you were to victory!

Postby petes67bird » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 am

nitejanitor wrote:I take it you have anxiety issues even before you quit?? sometimes ole nicodemon will tease you & make all sorts of "problems" seem unbearable cause then he whispers-see "if only" you'd have one everything will be aces once more-NOT!!!!Why not really give quitting a real chance & stay with it till you have 6 months free & by then maybe you'll realize it was just nicodemon messing with you :Evil_Devil:

Hi Nitejanitor- Never had any anxieties prior to smoking. Never really have even taken medication in my lifetime, I am a pretty healthy guy other than the smoking habit. I am in good shape, played college sports back in the day, still lead an active lifestyle, and my life is pretty much stress free. My wife and I have no children but were planning on starting later this fall. That was the motivation behind the initial strategy to quit, it just got bumped up by the panic attack. I normally have always been really calm and that is why I cant believe what I am feeling is actually anxiety because I never had it before this. Thanks Peter
petes67bird

Postby krid » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:50 am

petes67bird wrote:
krid wrote:What about yoga, meditation, pilates - singing is amazing for smoothing life out.

Hi Krid- Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the ideas but I am not a spiritual person, but might look into pilates as I dont believe that requires you to believe in spirituality. Thanks again, Peter

I'm far from spiritual myself but meditation to me isnt about a higher being or transcending - to me its about tuning into yourself, listening to yourself, becoming aware of yourself and for those few minutes a day focussing only on yourself, clearing out the niggles and nags that rattle around inside. I just feel lighter afterwards, more connected to myself.
Now I sound like a nutter (more than usual!) - I just hope you find some peace xxx
KRID
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe
OK, so it's not all that relevant to smoking but I love it anyway!

I quit smoking on Monday 14th June 2010 at one minute past midnight

http://www.nosmokingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6152&hilit=dopamine+thread
krid

Next

Return to Month 2