Day 6. Nicotine Patch Irritation

Day 6. Nicotine Patch Irritation

Postby haylee81 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:46 pm

So I'm not on day six of my third attempt this year of giving up smoking, not feeling to bad but could be better. I'm using the 14mg 16 hour patches which seem to help just fine with the cravings but there leaving me with itchy red squares wherever I stick them (especially if I put them on stretch marks, lesson learnt)!, lotion seems to help take the irritating tickle away but I'm all marked up. Is this normal? I've used the patches before and they have never bothered me to this extent. I'm wondering whether I should just take them off and try going it alone but obviously I have failed twice before and don't want this to happen again. Plus my help to quit nurse will give me an ear full tomorrow when I see her!! What do you guys think?? I don't really understand all these mg's so I wondered if the cravings would be that bad if I came off the 14's to nothing. Many Thanks
haylee81

Re: Day 6. Nicotine Patch Irritation

Postby Kathy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Maybe it's the brand, Haylee. Did you use a different brand last time? I wouldn't come off them yet unless you use another form of NRT since you are on your third try. Talk to your nurse. :Give_A_Heart:
ImageKATHY

"IF I HAVE JUST ONE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY." Wolfman
Kathy

Postby haylee81 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm using the same brand, think that's why I have kept wearing them as I know they were fine last time. I wondered maybe if it was because I've had a few stressful things going on recently, low immune system maybe. I have just made a appt to see my help to quit nurse tomorrow so will see what she thinks.
haylee81

Postby Kathy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:25 pm

That is the best idea Haylee, I've never used patches so I'm at a loss. I go CT.
ImageKATHY

"IF I HAVE JUST ONE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY." Wolfman
Kathy

Postby margareth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Haylee :)

Well done on 6 smoke free days that's great and I also didn't use patches but champix :Grin:

Have heard others mention this itchiness though and seem to remember that if they waved them around in the air for a few seconds before putting them on that stopped it

I think you're wise to wait and see what the nurse says tomorrow before ditching them :Good:

Below is my standard welcome and advice post which I try and give all new members

: :Welcome: to the forum and well done on the decision to quit possibly one of the most important you will ever make and you will be losing nothing but you will regain control of your life and that has to be good

You will find all the help and support you need on here as we all help each other just like a family we are here for you every step of the way cheering the good days and sympathising with the bad but the good far outweigh the bad

:Read: the posts on here you will find a lot of tips and advice and in the signatures of a lot you will find links to other sites just click on them Here are 2 I find very good to start you off http://www.whyquit.com and http://www.woofmang.com Read, read and then read some more as the more you read and learn about why you smoked and about your addiction the easier your quit will be

This link is good for the psychological part of quitting http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Symptoms.html

Please also visit our Library there is a lot of useful stuff much of it written by our own members about their quitting experiences
viewforum.php?f=64

Post often to let us know how you're doing, to rant, rave have a moan whatever you like pretty much anything goes on here OK

Love and hugs

Marg xx
margareth

Return to Day 6